In a recent blog we illustrated how direct mail is still getting a good return on investment versus or in combination with electronic mail. To get even greater effect from direct mail, make it lumpy.
This has the advantages of –
- Makes the mailer stand out
- The package is intriguing
- As it feels bulky it is irresistible to open – 100% open rate is just about guaranteed
- Rewards to customer for opening and reading your mailer
- Your message on the promo product will most likely last a lot longer than the mailer will
There are many options for mailable promo items. With enough ideation time allowed; the promo product can do more than bring awareness, it can reinforce the promotional message. An example is sunscreen sachets which highlights the onset of summer, may work well for vacation based businesses.
Also, think beyond just the marketing of a product. How can you use mailable items to encourage as a meeting, promote an offer, increase traffic at a trade show? Here are a few ideas –
- Send a teaser item
- Wine Stopper, with an offer of a bottle of Dom Perignon champagne
- Microfiber sunglass pouch with a sales incentive offer of Maui Jim’s, Oakley’s, Bolle etc.
- Mini football with a sales incentive offer of finals tickets
The teaser will hang around longer than your mailing piece increasing the likelihood that the client will take up your offer.
Mailable Items are chosen to be small and robust enough to mail; and cost effective enough to be broadly distributed. Many mailable promotional items are small and light enough to go in a standard DL envelope; keeping the mailing costs down. This lowers the cost of acquisition.
For more marketing insight from Matthew check out his blog –