Picking the right apparel and headwear material is important when marketing at athletic and corporate sporting events. Quite often companies will look to keep the costs low on the merchandise thinking that these are a one-off use. This is missing a really strong, long lasting marketing opportunity.
Selecting the right promotional items and materials will :
1. Make it look like you know what you are doing – ie moisture wick shirts for runners or marathoners. This builds the perception that “hey they know us”.
2. Not abrasive on the wearer – the wrong material can cause skin irritation as the the athlete starts to perspire.
3. Lasts well beyond the event – get a long tail on your branding by selecting a product that the user will want to wear over and over.
4. Create an anchor in the mind of the athlete of a happy time – eg the marathon they ran in, you can add in the event name /date etc on the shirt, cap etc.
5. Great exposure – if you supply a team’s worth of clothing and headwear then you will get great exposure on the day.
For more marketing insight from Matthew check out his blog –www.matthewbywater.com